Tips on preventing kitchen fires this Holiday season from your SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus
The Holiday season is like a whirlwind of different activities, the decorating, the gift wrapping, the cooking! Sometimes it feels like there’s so much to do with so little time. Here at SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus we understand the meaning of the “whirlwind” that comes along with the Holiday season. We know that a celebration isn’t complete without a feast to share with your loved ones. Your SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus is here with helpful tips to prevent kitchen fires this Holiday season.
- Watch what you are cooking! The leading cause of kitchen fires is because the kitchen was left unattended whilst cooking a meal.
- Keep children at least 3ft away from the stove. Enforce a 3ft area perimeter around the stove for your children to avoid. Younger children run higher risks of being burned from hot food or hot liquids on the stove.
- Use kitchen appliances correctly. Follow manufacturer recommendations when connecting appliances like microwaves, crock pots, steamers, toaster ovens, and any other appliance. Connect these items directly to a wall outlet, using extension cords can overload the circuit and cause a fire.
- Keep flammable items away from the stove. Keeping the following items away from your stove top can potentially prevent a fire in your home. Common flammable ingredients and items: Flour, sugar, cooking alcohols, oils, paper products, wooden spoons, cloth napkins etc.
Keeping a fire extinguisher in your home is always a good idea. A class K fire extinguisher is most commonly used in the kitchen area. Fire extinguishers should be placed at least 30 feet away from the stove. Always remember safety is the most important aspect when putting together a feast for your family this Holiday season. Keep in mind that your SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus is always here to help, and make it “Like it never even happened”.