Does pollen damage my car paint?
Pollen can damage your car paint
While our car sits idle, we wonder if the thin layer of pollen can affect our paint? Well, yes it can, and will if you do not wash it off as soon as possible. Here’s a not-so-fun fact, pollen is high in acidity and activates with rain water. To preserve the paint on your car it is recommended that you wash the pollen off of as needed with water. By removing the pollen you extend the life of your paint. The longer pollen sits on your car paint, the more it is likely it is to oxide and stain your paint. It is recommended to wash, or pay someone to wash your car every week or bi-weekly, this way you frequently reset your time through pollen season. If you choose to do it yourself but do not have access to a water hose consider using a spray bottle, once you’ve sprayed the car down, wipe it with a cloth rag. This may take a little bit of time but it can save you lots of money in the long run. We hope you find these tips helpful. Always remember that your SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus is always here to help!
Keep warm during the cold winter days!
Prepare for cold weather!
Though we enjoy the winter season and its beautiful snowy days, we must be cautious and prepared for the cold weather. We would like to share tips and information, courtesy of the American Burn Association, on what can be done to avoid sicknesses like Hypothermia. First off, Hypothermia is considered a medical emergency, which averages 1,300 deaths per year in the U.S. Hypothermia occurs when the body temperature cools down to a life-threatening level and sometimes accompanies frostbite injuries. Signs of hypothermia include slurred speech, shivering, weakness, confusion, drowsiness and/or loss of consciousness. If you feel any of those symptoms seek medical attention as soon as possible! If you are planning a day out in the cold weather, please see the tips below.
- Pay attention to weather forecast
- Dress in several layers of loose clothing, wear hats that fully cover the ears, wear warm boots and mittens
- Drink plenty of warm fluids but avoid alcohol and caffeine
- Avoid or limit outdoor activities when the temperature nears or dips below 5°F (-15°C)
- Take frequent breaks indoors from the cold
We hope you found those tips helpful. Always remember that your SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus is always here to help, and make it “Like it never even happened."
Can my live Christmas tree catch on fire? Yes it can!
Enjoy your Christmas holiday without a Christmas tree fire!
Did you know that Christmas trees alone result in 13 million dollars, annually, in property damage? More importantly, these fires present real risk towards family and friends. According to the American Christmas Tree Association, 77 percent of US households will celebrate Christmas with a Christmas tree. If a live tree is a must for the Holiday season, please read the following safety precautions to help prevent a Christmas tree fire.
- When purchasing a live Christmas tree, look for a tree with vibrant needles that are hard to pluck and don’t break easily from its branches.
- Look for a tree that isn’t already shedding its needles.
- Place your tree in a strategic place, away from heat sources like fireplaces, candles, heat vents or lamps.
- Keep your tree filled with water to avoid dry out.
- Throw out damaged Christmas lights.
- Turn off your Christmas lights before bed every night.
We hope you will find these tips helpful. Always remember that your SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus is always here to help and make it “Like it never even happened."
How to react when a fire occurs at home
Don't Panic, call SERVPRO!
As the holiday season quickly approaches and home kitchens become makeshift restaurants, it is important to understand fire safety and to have protocols in case of a fire at home. The first 48 hours after a fire damage can make the difference between restoring versus replacing your property and personal belongings. SERVPRO’s 1-4-8 Service Response Guidelines can help prevent fire damage from creating long-term problems. SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus professionals provide timely response with mitigation services ranging from fire, smoke, and soot removal to contents claims inventory and document restoration. These services help ensure your property, belongings, and memories are restored to preloss condition when possible. We are available 24-hours a day, 365 days a year to help you regain control quickly.
WHAT YOU CAN DO UNTIL HELP ARRIVES:
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from spreading and additional damage from occurring.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs and high traffic areas and upholstery.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet.
- Do not wash any walls or painted surfaces.
- Do not shampoo carpet or upholstery
- Do not clean any electrical equipment
- Don’t not send clothing to dry cleaner since improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
A backdraft of emotions often sweeps over the owners after a fire ravages a home. Fear, uncertainty, stress and doubt about the future of the property can overwhelm the owner long after the flames have been extinguished and the smoke has cleared.
So after the first wave of heroes have rescued the property, let us at SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus help you restore it. With the industry approved training to employ rapid response, the utmost professionalism, cutting-edge technology and open communication, we strive to restore not only the home, but the customer’s peace of mind, as well.
Do you have an Emergency Ready Plan in place?
Are you emergency ready?
In the restoration industry we run across many businesses that aren’t prepared for a disaster like a flood, fire, or mold. Statistics show that an overwhelming 50% of businesses that planned for a disaster reopened after the plan was executed. Preparation is a key component for making it through any size disaster, whether it’s a small water leak, a large fire, or an area flood. How can your local SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus help you? We can put together an Emergency Ready Plan for your business at no charge to you. The Emergency Ready Plan consists of the following,
- We come to your business for a no cost assessment of your facility.
- We identify and label your main shut off valves for water and gas.
- We gather all of your important contact information including building emergency contact person, your plumber, your electrician, and local emergency contacts. Once we gather all of the important contacts we put it in a neat folder for your safe keeping.
- As we walk your facility, we also inspect for any concerns that we come across.
- We also keep a record of this information so that if you may need our services we know where everything is located and are able to get you back to business ASAP!
Your SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus has your best interest in mind. Feel free to reach out to our staff to schedule your FREE Emergency Ready Plan consultation. Remember that your SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus is always here to help and make it “Like it never even happened."
National Preparedness month at SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus.
Hope for the best, plan for the rest.
For the entire month of September, The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) sponsors National preparedness. This month, SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus also encourages everyone to take steps towards preparing for disaster in their home or business. Remember to consider everyone in your household, and make the accommodations necessary for each person. Below is a survival kit inventory list, courtesy of the American Red Cross Association.
At a minimum, you should have the basic supplies listed below:
- Water: one gallon per person, per day (3-day supply for evacuation, 2-week supply for home)
- Food: non-perishable, easy-to-prepare items (3-day supply for evacuation, 2-week supply for home)
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio(NOAA Weather Radio, if possible)
- Extra batteries
- Deluxe family first aid kit
- Medications (7-day supply) and medical items
- Multi-purpose tool
- Sanitation and personal hygiene items
- Copies of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies)
- Cell phone with chargers
- Family and emergency contact information
- Extra cash
- Emergency blanket
- Map(s) of the area
Consider the needs of all family members and add supplies to your kit:
- Medical supplies (hearing aids with extra batteries, glasses, contact lenses, syringes, etc)
- Baby supplies (bottles, formula, baby food, diapers)
- Games and activities for children
- Pet supplies (collar, leash, ID, food, carrier, bowl)
- Extra set of car keys and house keys
Additional supplies to keep at home or in your survival kit based on the types of disasters common to your area:
- Tools/supplies for securing your home
- Extra clothing, hat and sturdy shoes
- Blankets or sleeping bags
We hope that this list gives you an idea of what you need in your home or business in order to be prepared. Keep in mind that a disaster can happen at any time and it’s always a good idea to be prepared. Remember that your SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus is always here to help, and make it “Like it never even happened.”
July 4th safety tips from your SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus.
Happy 4th of July!
July 4th is a day to celebrate with friends, family, and fireworks! While enjoying such a festive occasion, be sure to keep your family and home safe. Bellow are a few tips to consider when celebrating with fireworks.
- Have a fire extinguisher handy, just in case.
- Supervise children handling fireworks.
- Soak fireworks in a bucket of water before putting them in a trash can.
- Light the fireworks at arms length and then stand back.
- Do not attempt to re-shoot fire works that did not initially fire.
- Set your fireworks in an open space, not to close to your home.
We hope everyone has a fun and safe 4th of July. Always remember that your SERVPRO ofPoolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus is always here to help and make it "Like it never even happened."
Storm water intrusion awareness from SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus.
Storm damage? SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus is here to help!
During spring we see lots of flash storms. Flash storms leave catastrophic damage in their path in no time. Rain water is considered, what we in the restoration industry call category three water. Category three water is considered black water, which has the potential to cause health concerns such as respiratory problems. When a home is contaminated by black water, we recommend that you leave the home until it has been properly decontaminated. Our duty is to properly clean and restore your home and belongings. We believe in restoring instead of replacing. Trust that your local SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus will take care of your home and get you back to its prior to loss condition as soon as possible.
Duct cleaning, the SERVPRO way!
Happy ducts, happy house!
When moving into your new home or simply just to keep a clean home, a duct cleaning is essential. Sweep away bacteria and dust accumulated in the ducts of your new home. By performing regular duct cleaning you potentially extend the life of your HVAC system as well as your ducts. You also reduce chances of health risks that steam from dust, dirt, and fungi accumulated in your ducts. Our goal when performing a duct cleaning is to remediate bacteria, restore peak energy efficiency, and eliminate offensive odors. You can trust that your SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus will get it done right the first time.
The SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus duct cleaning process:
- We begin our process by using our patented roto-scraper, which automatically adapts to the shape and diameter to the ducts. The roto-scraper removes debris and filth before we the vacuuming process begins.
- Next, a powerful push-pull air delivery and collection system transfers the debris from the ducting to a collection container.
- Air is filtered through a HEPA filtration system, removing 99.97 percent of particles in the airstream. HEPA filters capture debris and keep the environmental clean.
- Filters will either be cleaned or replaced to remove odor and soil.
Call us today for a free duct cleaning estimate! Your local SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus is always here to help and make it “Like it never even happened."
Allergy season in full effect!
SERVPRO is always here to help!
Do you or anyone in your household suffer from allergies? Though the season brings many contributing factors to allergies, there are also causes that may not be related to the seasonal change. The cause may be that your home is simply just not clean. For example, if you have a pet like a cat or dog, cleaning their dander may help minimize your allergic reactions. Another example is dust, dust particles can cause sneezing, runny nose, nasal congestion etc.
Aside from allergies, different aspects of your home can cause discomfort. An odor can cause discomfort and or headaches. An odor like mold is not one to take lightly, mold can lead to serious health issues. Take the necessary precautions to keep your family healthy this spring.
Here are a few services that we offer that may help you feel better inside your home.
- A good old fashioned duct cleaning
- Mold Remediation
- Mildew cleanup
- Pet dander cleanup
- Carpet cleaning
Your trusted professionals at SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus can help you get nice and tidy this spring. Call us today for more information on the specialty cleaning services that we offer.