July 4th safety tips from your SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus.
Happy 4th of July!
July 4th is a day to celebrate with friends, family, and fireworks! While enjoying such a festive occasion, be sure to keep your family and home safe. Bellow are a few tips to consider when celebrating with fireworks.
- Have a fire extinguisher handy, just in case.
- Supervise children handling fireworks.
- Soak fireworks in a bucket of water before putting them in a trash can.
- Light the fireworks at arms length and then stand back.
- Do not attempt to re-shoot fire works that did not initially fire.
- Set your fireworks in an open space, not to close to your home.
We hope everyone has a fun and safe 4th of July. Always remember that your SERVPRO ofPoolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus is always here to help and make it "Like it never even happened."
Storm water intrusion awareness from SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus.
Storm damage? SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus is here to help!
During spring we see lots of flash storms. Flash storms leave catastrophic damage in their path in no time. Rain water is considered, what we in the restoration industry call category three water. Category three water is considered black water, which has the potential to cause health concerns such as respiratory problems. When a home is contaminated by black water, we recommend that you leave the home until it has been properly decontaminated. Our duty is to properly clean and restore your home and belongings. We believe in restoring instead of replacing. Trust that your local SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus will take care of your home and get you back to its prior to loss condition as soon as possible.
Duct cleaning, the SERVPRO way!
Happy ducts, happy house!
When moving into your new home or simply just to keep a clean home, a duct cleaning is essential. Sweep away bacteria and dust accumulated in the ducts of your new home. By performing regular duct cleaning you potentially extend the life of your HVAC system as well as your ducts. You also reduce chances of health risks that steam from dust, dirt, and fungi accumulated in your ducts. Our goal when performing a duct cleaning is to remediate bacteria, restore peak energy efficiency, and eliminate offensive odors. You can trust that your SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus will get it done right the first time.
The SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus duct cleaning process:
- We begin our process by using our patented roto-scraper, which automatically adapts to the shape and diameter to the ducts. The roto-scraper removes debris and filth before we the vacuuming process begins.
- Next, a powerful push-pull air delivery and collection system transfers the debris from the ducting to a collection container.
- Air is filtered through a HEPA filtration system, removing 99.97 percent of particles in the airstream. HEPA filters capture debris and keep the environmental clean.
- Filters will either be cleaned or replaced to remove odor and soil.
Call us today for a free duct cleaning estimate! Your local SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus is always here to help and make it “Like it never even happened."
Allergy season in full effect!
SERVPRO is always here to help!
Do you or anyone in your household suffer from allergies? Though the season brings many contributing factors to allergies, there are also causes that may not be related to the seasonal change. The cause may be that your home is simply just not clean. For example, if you have a pet like a cat or dog, cleaning their dander may help minimize your allergic reactions. Another example is dust, dust particles can cause sneezing, runny nose, nasal congestion etc.
Aside from allergies, different aspects of your home can cause discomfort. An odor can cause discomfort and or headaches. An odor like mold is not one to take lightly, mold can lead to serious health issues. Take the necessary precautions to keep your family healthy this spring.
Here are a few services that we offer that may help you feel better inside your home.
- A good old fashioned duct cleaning
- Mold Remediation
- Mildew cleanup
- Pet dander cleanup
- Carpet cleaning
Your trusted professionals at SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus can help you get nice and tidy this spring. Call us today for more information on the specialty cleaning services that we offer.
Where do mice hibernate during winter? Possibly inside your house!
Biohazard Clean-up from SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus.
As we all know, during cold temperatures, we try to stay indoors as much as possible. Have you ever asked yourself, where mice hibernate? Well, possibly inside your house! They also want to keep warm during the winter months. A small sign of a mice infestation can be tiny black feces no bigger than a sesame seed. Bigger signs are holes chewed out of food containers or even drywall. In these cases the best thing to do is to get a pest control provider to come out and take care of your unwelcomed guests.
Your next step is to hire the rite professionals to come and clean the mess left behind. Rodents carry diseases like the Hantavirus, which can cause life threatening diseases with flu-like symptoms. In some cases just breathing in the contaminated dust can make you sick. By attempting to clean after rodent urine or feces you expose you and your family’s health. Call SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus to properly clean and disinfect your home. Our team of trained professionals have the experience and the now-how to properly clean and disinfect your home. Trust your SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Snow storm tips from your SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus.
Protect your property from winter storm weather.
Winter weather is here! It is time to dust off and take out those snow shovels, it looks like we will be needing them today. Although snow is a beautiful thing to see, it can cause damage to your home. Your SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus is here to help with a few pointers on how to keep your home safe from damage due to a snow storm.
- Remove snow from basement stairwells and window wells, melting snow can lead to water damage and moisture intrusion.
- Drip all faucets in your home continually during severe cold, including kitchen and bathroom sinks as well as shower and tub faucets, to prevent pipes from freezing and bursting.
- Use extreme caution with electric space heaters, keeping them at least a few feet away from anything flammable.
- If you experience a power failure, use battery-powered flashlights and lanterns instead of candles whenever possible.
- Keep garage doors closed if there are any water supply lines in the garage.
Remember your SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus is always here to help and make it “Like it never even happened.”
Categories of Water Contamination
All water losses are different!
Here at SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus safety is our first priority. Knowing how to react when you experience a water loss is vital to you and your families’ health. All water poses potential health problems. It is the single leading cause of disease in the world. Understanding the different types of water contamination levels and their health risks can make a big difference in restoration process as well as minimize your chances in becoming sick. This information will help you determine if you need to evacuate the home or not. Below you will find a description of the different types of water contamination categories.
Category 1 – Clean Water: This water originates from a sanitary water source that does not pose substantial harm to humans. This may include broken water lines, tub or sink overflows with no contaminants, appliance malfunctions involving water supply lines, melting ice or snow, falling rain water, broken toilet tanks and toilet bowls that do not contain contaminants or additives.
Category 2 – Gray Water: This water contains a significant level of contamination and has the potential to cause discomfort or sickness if consumed by or exposed to humans. Examples of this include discharge from dish washers or washing machine overflows, toilet overflows, toilet overflow with urine, but not feces, and other sources where water has been contaminated.
Category 3 – Black Water: This water is grossly contaminated and may contain pathogenic, toxigenic or other harmful agents. Elderly, children under the age of 2, and people with respiratory issues should not occupy the facility until the building safe. Examples of Category 3 water are all forms of flooding due to sewage, flooding due to sea water or rain fall (rain, natural disaster), and colored water,
Keep in mind that every water loss is different, and determining the type of water category you have is the first step towards figuring out what the next step is. Once we establish the water category we put together our plan of action.
The information above was provided by The Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC). We hope we’ve provided a better insight on the different water types. Remember that your SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus is always here to help, and make it “Like it never even happened.”
Tips on preventing kitchen fires this Holiday season from your SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus
We wish you a safe holiday season.
The Holiday season is like a whirlwind of different activities, the decorating, the gift wrapping, the cooking! Sometimes it feels like there’s so much to do with so little time. Here at SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus we understand the meaning of the “whirlwind” that comes along with the Holiday season. We know that a celebration isn’t complete without a feast to share with your loved ones. Your SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus is here with helpful tips to prevent kitchen fires this Holiday season.
- Watch what you are cooking! The leading cause of kitchen fires is because the kitchen was left unattended whilst cooking a meal.
- Keep children at least 3ft away from the stove. Enforce a 3ft area perimeter around the stove for your children to avoid. Younger children run higher risks of being burned from hot food or hot liquids on the stove.
- Use kitchen appliances correctly. Follow manufacturer recommendations when connecting appliances like microwaves, crock pots, steamers, toaster ovens, and any other appliance. Connect these items directly to a wall outlet, using extension cords can overload the circuit and cause a fire.
- Keep flammable items away from the stove. Keeping the following items away from your stove top can potentially prevent a fire in your home. Common flammable ingredients and items: Flour, sugar, cooking alcohols, oils, paper products, wooden spoons, cloth napkins etc.
Keeping a fire extinguisher in your home is always a good idea. A class K fire extinguisher is most commonly used in the kitchen area. Fire extinguishers should be placed at least 30 feet away from the stove. Always remember safety is the most important aspect when putting together a feast for your family this Holiday season. Keep in mind that your SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus is always here to help, and make it “Like it never even happened”.
Christmas tree precautions from your SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus
Happy holidays from your local SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus!
Though Christmas is a time for celebration, it is wise to be cautious too. Old fashioned Christmas trees were displayed with wax on live tree branches to simulate snow. Since then we’ve grown wiser, and safer. Your SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus is her to help with safety tips to reduce the risk of a fire caused by Christmas trees.
- Be sure to water your live trees, this decreases dryness on the branches. Dry needles and wood are more likely to catch on fire quicker.
- Avoid plugging more than 3 strings into one outlet. It’s best to opt for a power strip.
- Discard light strings that are worn or broken.
- Always remember to turn off your Christmas tree when leaving your home.
- When placing your tree in your home, choose wisely. Make sure that your Christmas tree does not block an exit. Also, try to keep it at least 3 feet away from any heat sources like space heaters, candles, fireplaces, heat vents or lamps.
For this Christmas season keep yourself and your family safe. We hope that you find these safety precautions helpful. Always remember that your local SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus is always here to help, and make it “Like it never even happened.”
Biohazard and crime scene cleanup from SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus
We are always here to help, and make it "Like it never even happened"!
There are different types of biohazard contaminants, however all of them are harmful to your health. Weather its blood borne pathogens, crime scene residues, or sewage backups, these situations can pose serious health risks. Your SERVPRO professionals can safely clean and remove biohazardous substances and dispose of them properly in accordance with OSHA and health regulations. Here are a few tips on what you can do in case this unfortunate incident happens to you.
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treatallbodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
After any incident involving biohazard contaminants your main focus should be keeping your family safe. Keep your local SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus in mind. We have you and your family’s best interest in mind. Our focus is to get your home or business to its back to its prior state, and make it “Like it never even happened”.