How to react when a fire occurs at home
As the holiday season quickly approaches and home kitchens become makeshift restaurants, it is important to understand fire safety and to have protocols in case of a fire at home. The first 48 hours after a fire damage can make the difference between restoring versus replacing your property and personal belongings. SERVPRO’s 1-4-8 Service Response Guidelines can help prevent fire damage from creating long-term problems. SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus professionals provide timely response with mitigation services ranging from fire, smoke, and soot removal to contents claims inventory and document restoration. These services help ensure your property, belongings, and memories are restored to preloss condition when possible. We are available 24-hours a day, 365 days a year to help you regain control quickly.
WHAT YOU CAN DO UNTIL HELP ARRIVES:
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from spreading and additional damage from occurring.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs and high traffic areas and upholstery.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet.
- Do not wash any walls or painted surfaces.
- Do not shampoo carpet or upholstery
- Do not clean any electrical equipment
- Don’t not send clothing to dry cleaner since improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
A backdraft of emotions often sweeps over the owners after a fire ravages a home. Fear, uncertainty, stress and doubt about the future of the property can overwhelm the owner long after the flames have been extinguished and the smoke has cleared.
So after the first wave of heroes have rescued the property, let us at SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus help you restore it. With the industry approved training to employ rapid response, the utmost professionalism, cutting-edge technology and open communication, we strive to restore not only the home, but the customer’s peace of mind, as well.