Can my live Christmas tree catch on fire? Yes it can!
Did you know that Christmas trees alone result in 13 million dollars, annually, in property damage? More importantly, these fires present real risk towards family and friends. According to the American Christmas Tree Association, 77 percent of US households will celebrate Christmas with a Christmas tree. If a live tree is a must for the Holiday season, please read the following safety precautions to help prevent a Christmas tree fire.
- When purchasing a live Christmas tree, look for a tree with vibrant needles that are hard to pluck and don’t break easily from its branches.
- Look for a tree that isn’t already shedding its needles.
- Place your tree in a strategic place, away from heat sources like fireplaces, candles, heat vents or lamps.
- Keep your tree filled with water to avoid dry out.
- Throw out damaged Christmas lights.
- Turn off your Christmas lights before bed every night.
We hope you will find these tips helpful. Always remember that your SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus is always here to help and make it “Like it never even happened."